After a recent appalling experience with a friend, V and I were wondering how we had got him/ her so wrong.
Where in our judgement had we failed.
And so. We made a list over lunch today.
And you’re gonna laugh (or use it), but hopefully, it’ll be gold in your back pocket.
Friends worth being friends with
- Are totally cool if you’re running a little late, or need to change plans.
- Won’t offer something and then retract from the offer.
- Are positively guided for you. This might sound like a random one, but watch what people say when you say, “I got a new job!” Or “Check out our new couch!”. The silence will speak volumes.
- Will never say, “I knew it wouldn’t work”. Instead, they’ll mention it earlier, ask questions and bounce things. Rather than waiting for you to fail.
- They don’t bitch about their own friends, or get fascinated with the dark, sorrowful tales of others.
- Will either offer to pay the bill, or always get their own. Every now and then a trade is ok, but not always.
- Feel good in your gut. Trust that gut.
// Keep your list on your fridge. You’d be surprised how quickly we let people into our lives without a thorough background check!